This straightforward preparation for tripletail, a popular winter quarry, makes a light and refreshing meal or the perfect appetizer for entertaining.
- 4 fillets, 6 ounces each
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. ginger, chopped
1. Mix all ingredients in a shallow bowl.
2. Add fish fillets and let them cure for 2 hours.
- 2 avocados
- 4 limes (for zest and juice)
1. Slice avocados, add lime zest and juice, and blend until smooth.
Fig and Mushroom Salad
- 2 lb. assorted mushrooms, cleaned
- 1⁄2 cup figs, sliced
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1⁄2 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. salt
1. Place mushrooms, herbs and spices in a saute pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and chill, saving leftover sauce/marinade.
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 4 Tbsp. micro basil (optional)
1. Mix sliced figs with sautéed mushrooms and leftover sauce/marinade.
2. Place a spoonful of avocado puree in the center of each plate and spread slightly.
3. Slice thin each tripletail fillet, place slices over the avocado puree, salt fish to taste, and drizzle cure juice on top.
4. Spoon a portion of the fig and mushroom salad over the tripletail slices, and finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and micro basil.