The three components of this dish come together quickly when prepared in the right sequence. Start by building the vinaigrette, which can then be held warm until plating. Grill the asparagus next—nothing fancy, just grilled with salt and pepper until hot and slightly charred but still firm. Then move on to cooking the fish.
Recipe – Roasted Striped Bass
- 4 6-ounce portions of striped bass, skin on
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
1. Season fish with salt to taste, heat olive oil in pan until lightly smoking, add fish, skin down, and reduce heat slightly. Pan-roast until skin is golden brown.
2. Add butter, thyme and garlic to pan and baste the fish with the melted butter until cooked through.
Read Next: Striped Bass with Cherry Tomato Salad and Squash Jam
Wild Mushroom and Bacon Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 cup warm bacon fat
- 2 cups wild mushrooms (any, per availability)
1. Combine the shallot, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, whisking constantly while slowly adding olive oil to the bowl to combine the ingredients.
2. Heat bacon fat, add cooked mushrooms and diced bacon, and pour in the vinaigrette. Keep slightly warm on the stove.
3. Serve fish on a bed of grilled asparagus. Finish by topping with mushroom-bacon vinaigrette.