- Latin name: Megalops atlanticus
- Swim range: Warm temperate tropical and subtropical waters of the Atlantic Ocean
- Body covered with large, silver scales, with backs ranging from dark green to golden brown
- Tarpon migrate through the Gulf and Atlantic from February through August
- Baby tarpon from 5 to 25 pounds often reside on mangrove shores. Mature tarpon, up to 200 pounds, migrate through inshore waters seasonally
- Largest tarpon ever caught: 286 pounds, 3 ounces from Guinea-Bissau, West Africa.