This modern take on the French classic, skate in brown butter, brings in cauliflower and passion fruit, creating a complex range of flavors and textures to complement the buttery richness of the skate. This preparation uses whole, skinned skate wings with the bones in. Larger wings may be cut to portion size by following the lines of the ribs. The sturdy, rich flesh of the skate prepares easily and resists overcooking.
- 4, 10-ounce skate wings, skinned, on the bone
- Wondra, or similar fine-grained flour, for dusting
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut in 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 2 whole passion fruit, pulp and seeds (mango may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Lightly salt the skate wings and dust both sides with flour.
- Heat half the butter in a pan until lightly browned, add the skate. Cook on both sides, basting frequently.
- Add remaining butter to the pan. Add cauliflower and roast for one minute, until lightly browned.
- Add capers and 2 tablespoons of stock to the pan and return to heat. Then add passion fruit, parsley and a little more butter, and remove from heat when up to temperature.
- Plate the skate, spoon the cauliflower mixture over the top, and garnish with seasonal greens.