Well, maybe not so easy if you’re fighting a big blue marlin out at sea. But, sport fishermen have several opportunities for landing a spot in a big-game sport fishing tournament at Marina Cap Cana between June 11 and Aug. 16.
From the early days of summer to the heat of mid-August, sport fishermen/women can participate in competitive, fun and varied sport fishing tournaments in the crystal clear waters of the Mona Passage. Marina Cap Cana will host eight consecutive weeks of sport fishing tournaments and related events – all geared toward serious anglers and those fishing for the sheer joy of it.
Participating anglers can spend a few days or the entire summer competing in fishing tournaments hosted by Marina Cap Cana. Special dockage rates at the marina, cash prizes and Cap Cana resort prizes (vouchers to luxury amenities) are on tap for the tournament. Social and entertainment events are on tap too – making for some hot fun – and fishing – throughout the summer fishing season at Marina Cap Cana. Marina Cap Cana is managed by Brandy Marine International, L.L.C., a Sarasota, FL, USA firm with 32 years experience in marina management, consulting, marketing and design.
Three Major Big-Game Fishing Tournaments Hosted by Marina Cap Cana This Summer
- The White Marlin Invitational Fishing Tournament – June 11-13
- The Second Annual Cap Cana Classic Blue Marlin Invitational Fishing Tournament – Aug. 13-15
- The Anzuelo Dorado a unique fishing season open tournament scheduled for the weeks in between the two marlin tournaments, or June 18 through Aug. 9. Participants in this tournament must have a minimum of eight departures and a maximum of 12 departures for fishing, with prizes awarded to the top point-getters. Anglers have the flexibility of fishing on their own schedules (Thursdays through Sundays), while maintaining a running point total based on the minimum and maximum number of departures. Anglers who participate in this tournament will automatically be invited to participate in the White Marlin Invitational and the Cap Cana Classic Blue Marlin Invitational.
- These are all catch and release tournaments
“Marina Cap Cana is an ideal port for sport fishermen during the summer months,” said Capt. Andrew G. New, Marina General Manager. “White marlin have already begun biting less than two miles from the main entrance channel and are expected to be in abundance during the June 11-13 fishing tournament. Fishing for prized blue marlin off Cap Cana is projected to be superb from June through the end of August.”
The marina is strategically situated on the Mona Passage on the southeastern coast of the Dominican Republic. The Mona Passage is the body of water bordered by the Dominican Republic on the west and Puerto Rico on the east. The Mona Passage is at the confluence of the Atlantic Ocean to the north and the Caribbean Sea to the south, creating world-class fishing grounds for white marlin and blue marlin. Other species caught in the Mona Passage, including sailfish, grouper, Dorado and snapper.
Promotional discounted dockage rates will be offered to sport fishermen participating in any or all of the three tournaments, including the Anzuelo Dorado tournament. Marina Cap Cana and the Cap Cana resort will host several festive events, including cocktail parties, dinners and live entertainment and during the summer fishing season.
Marina Cap Cana is a full-service destination marina. It is slated to become the centerpiece of the multi-million-dollar Cap Cana resort. The resort will be under construction over the next 10 to 15 years. Five signature golf courses, four, five-star hotels, and a marina with more than 1,000 wet slips are planned on the 30,000-acre site. The resort offers the Jack Nicklaus Punta Espada Golf Course and the Sanctuary Cap Cana Golf & Spa, a five-star Alta Bella Hotel, two beach clubs, the marina and marina-front condominiums. Brandy Marine International, L.L.C. of Sarasota, FL assumed management of Marina Cap Cana in 2008 and it is a key property in Brandy Marine’s expanded management portfolio of high-end international resort marinas.
Marina Cap Cana Offers:
- 89 wet slips to accommodate yachts 30′ in length to 130′ in length
- Depth at mean low water: 7.5′ in the main channel. Minimum depth in marina: 10′
- Daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal slip rentals/leases and slip sales
- Fuel dock with gasoline and diesel and high-speed dispensing
- Marina village with luxury boutiques, restaurants and bars/fishing and cruising charters
- Concierge provisioning and other concierge services and free shuttle
- Access to Caleton Beach Club & Spa and Juanillo Beach Club, to the Jack Nicklaus Punta Espada Golf Course and clubhouse, to tennis courts and tennis pro and to restaurants and bars at the Sanctuary Cap Cana Golf & Spa hotel.
- Rental of the Aquamarina condominiums, located just steps from the marina.
For tournament entry information, fees, invitations, regulations, slip reservations and rates, contact Capt. New at (809) 695-5539 or at [email protected]. Fishing charters for the tournaments are limited and should be booked in advance. Flights to Punta Cana International Airport, located minutes from Cap Cana, are available aboard major carriers from Miami, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles, among other major airline hubs in North America. The marina monitors VHF channels 16 and 72 for vessels in transit. For slip sales, contact (809) 955-9501, (809) 227-2262, or, in the U.S., (800) 785-2198. Media contact: Donna Hartman, Director of Public Relations, Brandy Marine International, L.L.C., 1743 Independence Blvd., Suite D-8, Sarasota, FL, 34234. Email: [email protected]. Tel: (941) 360-1015. Fax: (941) 360-1105.