- Circle hooks are encouraged when fishing with live or dead natural bait
- The hook should be removed if possible and will not cause additional harm to angler or fish
- If the hook cannot be removed, the leader should be cut as close to hook as possible
- Mates should refrain from manually breaking or "popping" leaders because this can cause additional harm to fish, especially those not hooked in the jaw.
- Ample time should be taken to revive exhausted fish by gently moving them forward in the water to get water flowing over the gills.
- Knotless, rubber coated nets should be used on fish that are netted.