MIAMI, Fla., -- A rare chance to mingle with a gathering of two dozen of the world's finest billfishing captains, anglers and marine scientists -- and to hear them share some of their most highly guarded billfish secrets -- takes place at Billfish Expo 2010, Saturday, February 13.
The one day billfishing extravaganza will be held on the third floor ballroom of the Waterfront Miami Marriot Biscayne Bay, 1633 North Bayshore Drive, Miami, Florida, from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Registration begins at 9 a.m.
To help preserve the future of billfishing, funds from the expo will go to two of marine conservation's leading non-profits The Billfish Foundation and the International Game Fish Association (IGFA).
Hosted by Capt. Skip Smith, a board member of TBF, said the one day "How-To" educational billfishing extravaganza features captains and anglers "who have combined in catching and releasing over 100,000 billfish, achieved over 250 IGFA world records and," he added with a grin, "have won way too much prize money."
Smith said, "These speakers belong to a special club of anglers where the members don't talk too much, too loud or too often about themselves but when they do, anglers stop to listen.
"We're limiting the audience to just 1,000 so we can keep an informal setting for one-on-one opportunities and the speakers can share more insights on billfishing topics."
Smith added that following the day long event The Billfish Foundation will present its Annual Tag & Release Awards beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the same ballroom.
Along with television fishing show host and IGFA Hall of Famer Mark Sosin the event's emcee, Smith gave a run down of the scheduled topics and speakers.
- Sailfish: Trolling: Ron Hamlin & Dave Fields
- Sailfish: Live Bait: Ray Rosher & Bouncer Smith
- Circle Hooks: How They Work and How to Rig: Bouncer Smith & Skip Smith
- White Marlin: Bubba Carter & Dave Fields
- Black Marlin & Wiring Techniques: Peter Wright, Bo Jenyns & Scott Levin
- Daytime Swordfishing: Matt Tambor, Richard Stanczyk & Josh Brown
- Angling: Rob Ruwitch & Raleigh Werking
- Satellite Tagging and Other Science: Professor Arthur Mariano
- Striped Marlin: Steve Lassley & Peter Groesbeck
- Using Your Electronics: Karl Anderson, Steve Lassley, Pete Groesbeck,
- Blue Marlin: Bubba Carter, Gene Vanderhoek, Kevin Nakamura, Steve Lassley, Peter Groesbeck, Mike Lemon
- Special guest speaker Chris Fischer on his new National Geographic Television Series "Expedition Great White".
Smith said many more special guests, TV fishing personalities and speakers will be in attendance along with sponsor exhibits, merchandise marts, raffles, drawings for trips and more.
Tickets are $125 per person, if registered before Feb. 1, and $145 after that date.
For additional information on Billfish Expo please go to www.billfishexpo.com.